Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Knowing..

I heard this yesterday and my heart about burst out of my chest...
 
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. 
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. 
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. 
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. 
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. 
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

~ Buddha


This quote resounds so loudly in my heart... it speaks to me of everything I have been walking out and learning.

This is what this quote speaks to me...

Do not believe anything simply because somebody has said it.

But...

YOU look at it, research it, experience it, try it on.... and if it benefits, if it fits, is peaceful to your heart, and is good for you, your family.. the whole, then live in it.

Or

Don't.

I think the truest definition of freedom is in this opportunity to actually GET to formulate your own thoughts on things. We don't have to swallow something whole simply because an esteemed person in our life says we should. But we get to walk freely and experience life and God and come to a place of knowing inside.

You GET to experience life, and God, and love.
You GET to think your own thoughts.

And when you DO, it will take you way past a head belief to that knowing space in your heart.









For example... 

If I asked you... "What does a mango look like? Taste like? Feel like? Smell like?

You could tell me it's sweet.. it's smooth, it's oval and smells like it tastes.

I could ask another person, and they could say... it's bitter and very sour, it's very sharp and prickly, and it's square.

Which do I believe? I could believe either answer really...but I don't really KNOW anything.

Not until I experience the mango myself will I KNOW what it tastes, smells, feels, and looks like.

Then I can formulate how I feel about it, and if I like it... if it benefits or if it doesn't.

~~~~~~~ 

This thought from Buddha is my life mantra.

For far too long, I lived inside other people's beliefs.. and in doing so I was caged inside a box that was death to my heart.
Then the box was sealed with fear, so as to keep me safe inside and never questioning.
Never question the box.. or the book that the box was created around... never questioning what I have been told and how I should live, and how I should be.
Only believe these sets of rules and guidelines.. only go as far as the box.

But...

We forget that even in the Bible, all the stories we were taught as children, and read to in sermon's were all other people's experiences in life with God.

They are not your experiences nor are they mine.

They are OTHER people's.

The more I live, the more I see that God is meant to be experienced.
Life was meant to be lived and experienced.

As human beings, we learn best by trying things and learning from our mistakes.

So I made a decision.. a deep life decision..

I will know longer live and believe according to what others have experienced of life and God, nor what others tell me.

I will only live inside the knowledge of all that I experience of  life and God.
Because it's inside the experience that the knowing lives.

Oh I know I know... Fear says, "What have I done?? You are going to run off and make all these baaaaad choices and do all these baaaad things."

coughcough... um no.

I love that last part that Buddha adds.. "and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
Brilliant!
Because my life choices affect so many... so if it is beneficial to. the. whole.
Meaning.. my husband and children.. my friend and family.. my world around me.
Those who are affected by my life choices.
Yes ;)

<3

Just some thoughts today... wanted to share this with you.

xo

Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment