Monday, January 21, 2013

Self love..



The definition of love that I learned growing up was to give and give and give until empty. 
Love meant to sacrifice all of who I am, and what I have for everybody else.

I am learning that this is NOT love.

But that TO actually love I have to love myself first, then I can love others.

Living with a cup full to overflowing, and not a cup emptied.

Iyanla Vanzant has a thought that I heard yesterday that was sooo good...

"How you treat yourself is how you treat God...because you are the representative of God in your own life. So when we put ourself last and other's first, we are putting God last. Our cup is supposed to "runneth" over.. what's in the cup is for me, what runs over is for everybody else. (that's where service comes in) But the cup has to be FULL!"

That took a bit to soak in for me.. So good tho! Such truth!

Another thought from "A course in Miracles" says.. "When you give to others to the degree that you sacrifice yourself, you make the other person a thief."

After hearing Iyanla's thought, this makes so much sense.
It is not honoring to ourselves to allow people to drink from a cup that is meant for me.
It's not honoring to God, because He is the filler of that cup.

What is meant for me and what is meant for others are two different things.

Loving one's self is a gift to others.
Loving one's self is VITAL to love others.
Loving one's self is NOT self-ISH, but self-FULL.

Learning to live inside of this truth today...


xo

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Love this. So very true. In taking it day by day;) this was so beautiful and I'm in love with that tea cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a day by day process isn't it??

      Love YOU, K!

      Delete
  2. I'm learning this too but wow, it's hard. Thank you for this, it was much needed xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Nyssa friend.. loves to you, precious... I so know we are all learning this great art... xoxoxo

      Delete