Wednesday, September 14, 2011

You think you can choose God like you choose a pair of shoes?

Have to share a post from a friend... yeesh. this is good! Resonates like CRAZY inside me!

You think you can choose God like you choose a pair of shoes? 


How many Gods are there?
- Well, uh, there is only one God.
- So, isn’t that a silly question to ask?
- No, not at all. There are thousands of religions and each one claims to represent the real God. So which one is the real one?
- Do you have a mother?
- Of course I have a mother. Isn’t that a silly question to ask?
- No, not really. There are millions of mothers out there. How do you know which one is your real mother?
So the little man is playing tough. I had to stop and think. Where is the catch? Ok. Let’s play along and see where this goes.
- My mother is my mother because she made me.
- So, how come you don’t know who your father is?

I had this strange feeling that I was about to get a higher understanding of something that had eluded me so many times before. I stood there, my wheels spinning at hyper speed.
- You think you can choose God like you choose a pair of shoes? …
You choose the right one and you go straight to heaven, you choose the wrong one and you go straight to hell? …
There is no choosing. Nobody has God. No religion, no country, no race, no man has God. God has all of us, the Christians, the Buddhists, the Muslims, the Hindus and even the ones that don’t believe in God at all. We don’t make God, God made us.
We don’t choose God, God chose us.

Well, I had to admit. That was something I never considered.
There is no choice. God is my father and I couldn’t change that even if I wanted to. It is what it is and that’s all it is.

A question still remained.
So I asked:
- So how does one relate to God?
- How do you relate to your mother?
- I love her more than anything in this world.
- Well if that’s good enough for your mother I believe it’s good enough for your father too.
- You don’t understand. It is not that simple… What should one think of God and how… how do you believe in God?
- It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter what you believe about God or if you believe in God.
What matters is what God believes about you.  
The question is not do you believe in God. The question is, does God believe in you?


I had no idea, no clue, no answer. I felt like a piƱata after a Mexican birthday party.
My head hurt, my heart ached. I stood up and stumbled my way back home.
This little guy had just shattered my whole belief system in 5 minutes.
I had to get some rest.

I recouped really fast and went back to my new found teacher armed with even more questions, battling over every argument, from philosophy to politics.
He was a hard cookie to break.
Many times I would find him meditating and out of respect I would sit down beside him and pretend that I was meditating too, although I would just sit there with my eyes closed waiting for him to start talking.

One of those days sitting there “meditating” I let my mind wander and in a flash of lightning I had the revelation of God.
It was such a shock that my whole body reacted and I believe I groaned so loudly that I woke him up. I stood still as a stone, looking at him, tears rolling down my face. He smiled at me and I knew he knew. I smiled back and he knew that I knew.

After a life time of searching, after crossing an ocean and thousands of miles, finally I found God. Not in a church, not in a bible but right here in my heart. He was always there, all I had to do was say:
- Hi God!

From The Thirst for Spirituality – Part IX

One more quote.... goosebumps and tears roll down my cheeks.. I know you will resonate with this too, my sweet freedom friends..

"I Have Learned So much from God
That I can no longer Call Myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew.
...
The Truth has shared so much of Itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel,
Or even a pure Soul.

Love has
Befriended [Me] so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
my mind has ever known."


~ Hafiz 

6 comments:

  1. speechless....
    absolutely speechless

    how I feel this
    how I know this
    Everything is different and will never be again, as it was

    thank you thank you thank you for posting this Truth today my dear dear sister
    thank you

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read a Generous Orthodoxy be Brian Mclaren? That book started me thinking this way and frankly it is sooo freeing. I believe everyone goes to heaven and its a sad waste of time for those ruing the world with the reward of heaven. In fact I take it further but that is too crazy for most so never mind...But this is Good. This is similar to my trains of thought. It's nice to step out of the coloured boxes and view the whole picture:) But then it gets lost in shrouded mystery again...and I like that less answers come with truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo K... yet another book! You know my heart girl! Thanks for that. I know where you are going, and I am right with you! YEP! Not gonna start "that" discussion, but I believe the same thing. ;) I would LOVE to here what your further means.. yep! Email me or share more here if you feel comfy too.
    Those damn man made boxes have a man made little g-god in them. Outside, you see a whole new truth unfold! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadowspring, so wonderful for you to stop by! Love meeting new friends... love and freedom to you!

    ReplyDelete