Saturday, June 25, 2011

Words

I was folding laundry this morning and listening to this.

Rob had different people come up from all different walks of life, and had one person read this to the other.

One man was unemployed and had been looking for a job for a long time.

Another man was terminally ill and in need of a liver transplant within the next year or he is going to die.

Another was a young teen in high school.

Another was a man in his 50's.

And they read this personalized version of 1 John 2v12-14 over each other.

"(Insert person's name),
Your sins have been sent away.
You know God.
You are strong.
The Word of God lives in you, and you will overcome the evil one."


I listened and each time....it would slam against my heart.

Slam.
Slam.
Slam.

And all of a sudden, in the midst of folding my mount of laundry, I started sobbing.

Why?

I could hear my name in there every single time they read that scripture over each other.
The words spoke of my weariness... of my wondering if I am ok with God...
The words spoke to my insecurities..the ones of today, and the ones of tomorrow.

The part that kept slamming into me was....

Amy,
You know God.
You are strong.
The Word of God lives IN you (Jesus), and you WILL overcome the evil one.

Then again....

You know God.
You are strong.
The Word of God lives IN you, and you WILL overcome the evil one.

Truth.
Encouragement.
How God really really sees me...sees you.

I realized it had been a really long time since someone had spoken words of life over me.

I can't describe how completely refreshing and washing these words were to my soul.

Yes, Amy, you know Me.
Yes, Amy, you are so strong because even in your weakness, I am strong IN you.
Yes, Amy, I AM in you, and you are a conqueror!

sigh. I take in a deep breath just writing about it.

Words are so powerful.

That kind of truth and encouragement is so huge to my heart... I know it has to be to others.

Rob says in this sermon,
"The Word needs flesh.
The Word initially became flesh and blood...but at the heart of this story... the Word NEEDS flesh."


At first I wasn't sure what I thought about that, but as it sank in, I get it.
We need to speak truth to each other and lift each other up.
I don't know about you...but I can't remember the last time someone said something kind like that to me.
The important people in my life tend to be critical, judgmental and gossipy.
I don't want them to know about my life.
So I reeeeally tend to keep those relationships pretty surface, and alot about them to deflect going deep in my life stuff.
Don't want that negative stuff..Nope. No thanks.

My hub is my encourager these days...and right now he is walking through so much right now, and needs a lot from me these days.
It's an intense season he is in...we are in...and the road gets really hard.

I was challenged while listening this morning of my own critical words and my own judgemental attitudes.
God help me to see the Truth in each person and their situation....even when I don't understand and have insight into a person's life...help me to speak kindness and encouragement.
Because in all honesty, we are all doing the best we know how, aren't we?
Choosing and making life choices, considering our loved one, our husband and children...doing the best we can with what we have.
That is the truth.

Most people are not going around making life choices to annoy me or to annoy you. lol!
I hear that in my heart alot.. " Uh, Amy... it's not about you all the time."... hello!

As I listened to these precious folks that Rob called up, and they spoke these words over each other, such life it brought to MY heart just listening in.

So today, I was thinking about you, my friends.... and I want to say this to you today.

My friend,

Your sins have been sent away.
You know God.
You are strong.
The Word of God lives in you, and you will overcome the evil one."

Life and much love to you.

Amy

3 comments:

  1. beautiful, beautiful post! i just love it. my heart resonates with your heart. we must be kindred spirits...i think about words a lot too, and that kind of truth and encouragement would make me start sobbing as well. i'm so glad you had those words of life spoken over you today. they really are words of life--"death and life are in the power of the tongue", yes? also, "the tongue of the wise brings healing." i don't do very well all the time, but i try to go throughout my days speaking life-giving words. you have done that to me today; thank you. thank you for sharing this post. you have a beautiful heart, and you shared it very openly today. and i so appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find some truthful grace filled friends. You are right - parts of the creator are in each of us and we need each other to start to see the whole. That is why I focus so much on self awareness and persona discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a wonderful post...I have so missed reading your writings. How did I not know about this blog...lol!

    ReplyDelete