Monday, February 28, 2011

Love Wins

I am sure if you are on Facebook, Twitter or bloggy land you have come across this....

Love Wins


I watched this from Rob Bell on my FB page, and my heart jumped!

I adore Rob Bell...

I have gained such an incredible insight to the scriptures through his thoughts and research and encouragement. He is one of my most favorite teachers....pastors.

As a matter of fact I have passed his books on to many friends, and recommended his podcast as well.

What I didn't expect, but should not be surprised by is this article from Justin Taylor... and the slew of additional blog posts and Rob Bell bashing that is taking place every were I look on the blogosphere.

I have to say that I am so appalled at the mud slinging about a video, and 2 line blurb on a book that hasn't even been released yet.
Don't they call those little video teasers, uh TEASERS for a reason??

The verbal abuse from folks, and other teachers like John Piper...with words like heretic, false teacher, wolf are outrageous!

Another article I came across was this one from Jason Boyett...
God Bless you, Jason!
I loved this quote from the article... and boy oh boy, isn't it the sad, but honest truth!

"There is no meaner, more hateful person on Earth than a Christian who suspects you have gotten your theology wrong. Labeling that mean-ness as "being faithful" to the Gospel doesn't make it less hateful."
~ Jason Boyett


My jaw is dropped. I am in utter disbelief....maybe it's because I have never had any issue with his heart or teachings, that I stand aghast at such outrageous accusations!
But how easy it is to step up on our little boxes, and start to point the finger at a man that is asking the hard questions... and God forbid it be on the topic of hell.

I, myself, wish the book was out yesterday! I can't wait to read what Rob has to say on the topic.
I have said it to many people, and I will say it here... Rob Bell knows his stuff.
The guy studies deep! Deeper then any pastor/teacher that I have ever heard before.
And I will continue to recommend his books, videos and podcasts. There is so much we cannot understand about the scriptures because we live in a totally different time and culture then the ancient Hebrew Jewish culture.

I mean, it would be like me trying to apply a book that was written by an African tribe 1500 yrs ago, and try and understand it and apply it to my 2011 American life.
It's truly ludicrous!
But if I can study the culture of that tribe in that day, and try to understand why this person would address a certain topic in a cultural manner of their day.... I can take that principle and apply it to my life, OR not.

Rob Bell does this.

I am reminded today to love even more.
Even to love these people who are acting so badly and so un-lovingly.
Jesus says, "They will know you are mine by your love for each other."
That is a legacy I want to leave.
That is the legacy that Rob Bell preaches.
To love.
To be a people that are light and life givers in our generation.
To feed the poor and the needy.
To be the salt that we are in our communities.

I am choosing THAT today.

And yes indeed, Love Does Win!

Amy

3 comments:

  1. you preach it sista!!!
    Love love love you
    am so on board
    Love Rob Bell...awesome insight into God/Love
    It make me so sad when I see the bashing amongst believers...so very very sad
    hey there was something else I wanted to share with you that came up as I was reading this post...do you know at the beginning the "church structure" was
    Apostles
    Prophets
    Teachers
    Help
    Administration

    now there are no Apostles or Prophets and Administration has taken the fore front....just something to think about

    love you friend
    love your light!

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Rob bell- is he like another Brian Mclaren? SOunds like it...Brian also wrote an allegory on the subject of hell called 'the last word and the word after that' - He got so much flack- but he remained kind too. I am very curious about this book.

    Evangelicals tend to get uppity about any religion dogma that is not text book the way THEY teach it. I live in a solely evangelical town home of a large college and I grew up that way...I had eerily similar experiences to those of the movie 'Jesus Camp' ( could not even get through it because it hit too close to home. My husband and I are deeply God based but we stopped attending church 5 years ago. I received phone calls from strangers who attended church breathing"heretic" into my phone lines! I have friends whose husbands would not let them hang out with me because I encouraged boundaries and women's rights. I know all about the christian guise of caring that destroys a soul. They are lucky I had a great family support and have a strong belief system- otherwise a weaker person could have been forced into something dangerous just because they do not conform.
    I love that quote by Jason. He says it exactly. Now I write a blog that some of those people read. I portray my beliefs in a more allegorical or round a bout way because I want people to still read yet try to think outside of themselves. Sometimes I am not successful but it is nice to have an outlet.
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete